music


public persona

birdsong radio


Powered by Birdsong Radio

Monday, 14 July 2008

drawing lessons


This was my homework, to practise sketching an orange for light and shade and texture.


This was lesson 2. Drawing a non-organic object. I apologise for the quality of the photos. The sketch book doesn't really fit in my scanner, so I had to use the camera and couldn't focus properly.
My homework is to practise. For anyone who doesn't know, my teacher is my daughter. I get one-to-one tuition and to spend extra special quality time with her and she gets to tell me what to do and earns some money. It is serious and I think I will really be able to learn a lot from her. She seems to be an excellent teacher.

14 comments:

Rima said...

Excellent teacher indeed! the student isn't too bad herself! you're really getting there - keep finding subjects to sketch in the same way, it's very relaxing once you get going.
Love the cup! Kudos, teech and "potache"

Bev said...

They look excellent to me, and I bet it is more difficult to draw simple things properly than complex things because you are relying on good drawing techniques and any weaknesses would be immediately apparent.

I like the shiny effects and the stalks at the end of the oranges and when enlarged you can see the detail.

Artists With Artitude said...

Your teacher needs to give us online lessons! You seem to be a studious student and it is so nice that you have struck up such a beneficial deal (in more ways than one) with each other.

I really like the cup too. Drawing is something that is very very enjoyable and you are reminding me to sharpen my pens after decades of not drawing anything. Good job!

mgab. said...

C'est vraiment formidable de pouvoir apprendre de sa propre fille, je crois que c'est un type de relations très saines er enrichissantes, re-équilibrantes, je souhaite que vous en jouissiez pleinement toutes les deux, Frances

(sorry, Frances, SOS Babelfish!)

Irene said...

I would say she's got an excellent student. Talent does run in your family, doesn't it?

Rima said...

how about we see more of your homework?

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Wow, what a great partnership. You have loads of talent so tap into in and enjoy! I find drawing really hard, my husband doodles better than I draw so I can really appreciate a good drawing.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Frances,

This is fantastic!! Really great all around!! I am going to be away until Sun (thurs - Sun) - have fun!!

I also have a give-away if you want to enter.

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
http://Dianeclancy.com/blog/2008/07/post-500-a-give-away/

Martin Stickland said...

Great pencil sketches!

You are a clever little bunny wunny!

aims said...

I can't draw a straight line - yet my brother is a beautiful painter. Some have it - some don't. I don't. Not when it comes to drawing. Give me some wool and I'm Picasso!

Thanks for stopping by and reading Frances. I appreciate your comment very much.

John M. Mora said...

As I look into the ball I see more and more fruit in your future. Watermelons, grapes, tomatoes, peaches.

Martin Stickland said...

Hey is that your play list you have created? If so, wow, you crazy groovy chick!

How are you diddling Nancy?

:)

John M. Mora said...

where.art.thou?

John M. Mora said...

when will you draw your melons? dasmn, no anonimity....wish I could spell.